Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Book Review - Welcome to Sugartown (Sugartown #1) by Carmen Jenner


4 "mostly for Elijah Cade" Stars!

I was debating on how to rate this book since it left me with to many mixed emotions, love, heartbreak, sadness, hope, rage, confussion, happiness and more... the truth is, this book is brilliant that way, it makes you feel every emotion while you're reading and that should be praised enough to be fair.

When I first decided to put this book on my TBR it was because I read it was a fun reading and I saw the blurb I thought it sounded fine, but the truth is I was not prepared to the emotional rollercoaster I epxerienced while reading it.

In Welcome to Sugartown we meet Ana Belle, a 19 year old who owns the town's diner and bakes killer pies...

"Every day I dream of leaving Sugartown. And every day I open this crummy pie shop, I make pies and serve customers, and stay several hours after closing to make pies for the following day. I’m nineteen. The world should be full of endless possibilities, right? Wrong. Oh, so very wrong because I’ve just finished high school and my family happen to own this joint. So instead of making the world my oyster and all that, I’m stuck wearing this retro waitress uniform for the rest of my days—my mum and dad had some kind of rockabilly diner fetish, it’s sad really, don’t ask"

Yep, not a very happy girl, but she has Holly, the loyal best friend since kindergarten and Sammy, the six year old stepbrother.... I think those 2 were my favorite characters in this book...

“Do you ever want to crash one of their parties?” Holly pipes up, as we watch Kerry cross the street. She kisses my dad full on the lips and then straddles the seat behind him. He revs the throttle and they ride away into the sunset. 

“And watch a bunch of drunk, greying old bikers boast about how big their engines are while their trampy women drape themselves across their laps? Not my idea of fun, Holly.” 

“Yeah, bunch of hussies. Though I wouldn’t mind draping myself across Red Hot Rob’s lap again.” 

“Whath a huthy?” Sam’s little lisp pipes up from beside me. 

“Yo’ momma.” Holly shoots back with a cheeky grin. 

“Seriously Holly? You don’t think he’s going to repeat that?” 

She shrugs. “It’s true"

And then we throw a hot piece like Elijah Cade in the mix...

“Come on, Ana Belle, it’s the least you could do after humiliating me in front of your dad for the past two weeks.” 

“Hey, you brought that on yourself.” 

“How so?” 

“You came strutting in here all cocky, with your dimples and your tattoos and your big brown eyes and expected us to swoon.” 

“Baby girl, if that’s all it takes to make you swoon then you just wait ‘til you see what I do with my hands.”

Oh yeah, things get a little bit steamy between those 2, but don't get me wrong, if you think this book is about two people fallin un love and living happily ever after then this book is not what you want to read. Unfortunately, Ana and Cade have so many issues and secrets to have an easy and normal relationship, so things starts to get complicated and the emotional rollercoaster begins. There were some parts where I wanted to kick Ana and Cade for their stupidity and stubborness and other times I was really doubting there will be a HEA for those two, but Ms. Jenner saved the day graciously enough to left all the bad moments behind.

There are some subjects mentioned in the book that can be disturbing to some readers.

Do I recommend this book?... DEFINATELY!... but like I said, be prepared to experience different emotions while reading.